Monday, January 5, 2009

Totally Random: Colorblindness

I have too much catching up to do after arriving back home several days ago. I haven't had time to download pictures from my camera, nor have I had time to do anything crafty for me or with the kids. So, to tide you over, I'm going to post about colorblindness.

You see, Dennis is red/green colorblind. Which means that if you and I see red flowers in the green grass, all he can see is green. Or if he sees something purple, he will call it blue. I always wondered how exactly Dennis sees things. And now I know.

I discovered this website that alters your pictures so it appears the way a person who is colorblind would see the exact same picture. Below are two pictures, the first is a picture that I took. The second, is the way a person with red/green color blindness would see it:Dennis tells me that these pictures look the exact same to him. Get out of town! Crazy. This totally explains why his favorite color is brown; it's the only color he knows! The weird thing is, he can tell me pretty accurately what colors these balls are. I'm floored. I'm amazed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's crazy! What do you mean he can tell you what color the balls are? You mean he's learned what shades of brown correspond with the actual color of the balls?

sharleen.2cupsofcoffee said...

Yes. He can tell which ball is pink, which one is more orange and which one is more red. I think they look the same color of yellow.

Mom2BeautifulGirl said...

What a cool website. I've always been curious what it be like to be color blind. So glad I'm not.

That's cool that Dennis has learned to distinguish colors so well.