Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day!


Do people even really celebrate May Day anymore? I don't remember ever tying ribbons around a Maypole, but I do remember making May Day baskets. The tradition I had was to take a basket filled with treats to a special person's house, set the basket in front of the door, ring the doorbell and run and hide. Then, the person would answer the door and try to find the person who left the basket. If the person is found, the person receiving the basket is supposed to kiss the person who left the basket. I guess you're supposed to hope for the kiss, but I don't think I ever gave a basket to a boy except for the little neighbor boys who were quite a bit younger than me. Anyways, that just seems way too complicated for my one and two year old and what's the chances that someone in our neighborhood** knows that they're supposed to run and give them a kiss. So, we're just going to leave them on their friends' door, knock and run.
We made these May Day baskets found on Skip To My Lou. These are way too hard for them to make, so they decorated the paper with stamps and I did the rest. But, they had a great time anyways and are anxiously waiting for the kids to get home from school so they can knock and run!
**My husband is a Pharmacy Student at The Ohio State University. We live in family housing on campus which consists mostly of International Students.

No comments: